Monday, October 11, 2010

Reflecting back to 2009.

So, It's 7 days until the Sauls/Ingram wedding.  I am excited and nervous.  This is not the first wedding I have shot, but it is my hurdle.  After completing this session, I will have overcome my first big step.  I have been taking pictures forever... by my transformation that has taken place in the past year has brought me to realize several things.  One, I do it because I love it... I truly am at home behind the camera, no matter what camera it is or how much it cost.  Two, after reading thousands of words about photography, I know that I still have a lot to learn, but am confident in my personal skill.  Also, I have realized that it's okay that everyone has a love for photography, and it's okay that professionals want to write articles about how it's not okay.  Everyone has gifts.  It's how you use it and what you do with it...and how you transform it.  Yes, God gave me a passion, joy, love for this media.  Ok?  So what am I going to do about it?  Am I going to assume that my first picture ever taken of a client is "IT"?  That's my gift?  No.  I am going to learn, adjust, advance, stumble, make mistakes, and adapt.  I am going to use my gift over and over and tweak it.  It's mine, and I am going to make it wonderful.

One of the things that I did not have a year ago was great confidence.  I glided by on compliments, and how much I love it.  I have adjusted myself to know how good my work is.  Since last October, I have sold work, put it in auctions, made a FB fan page (and accumulated fans!), gotten clients that I did not know, purchased a high dollar camera, and focused my love into making my gift better.  I bought editing software.  I have put in time and sweat and effort.  I even struggled to create the perfect, fair, price list.  I am about to launch a website. 

I'm on my way.  When people say, "Oh, I didn't know you were a photographer," my answer is often, "I'm trying to be!"  It doesn't sound great writing about it, but what I mean is... I am in that beginning stage that EVERY professional has to be in.  The realization of your gift and realizing what you're going to do with it.  I'm gaining pride.

So, thank you.  Thanks to everyone who has supported me in the past year of my journey.  I am expecting your continued support.  You all are great.


Cannonsburg, October 2009

These are two of my favorite pictures from one of my very first sessions, taken about a year ago.  Before the Nikon, and with no post production.  I am proud of this work, but more proud that I can reflect on this session and see where I have improved.

No comments:

Post a Comment