Tuesday, August 10, 2010

7.9.10 - Behind the Scenes: Heidi & Charlie: Ogunquit, ME

Welcome to my first "Behind the Scenes with Krystal Sargent" blog post!  Here I will give insight, record memories, and include extra images from that day's session.

Today's post is from my mini session with Heidi and Charlie while I was vacationing in Oqunquit, Maine this summer.  I really enjoyed this session because it was with people I love, at a place I love.  My affection for this state isn't a secret...I love Maine almost as much as Florida... I summered in Maine as a little girl, and still go to the same places and beaches as I did then... (This is formulating into a future post, I think...)

Interestingly enough, our original plan wasn't to be on the Marginal Way.  We were planning on doing our session on the beach.  However, our experience early in the day showed us that we would have to find another spot.  This is a picture of what the wind was able to accomplish in just a matter of an hour.  I knew that trying to have a successful shoot with the wind and sand like this would prove to be a challenge.  Not that I'm not up for one, but with so many great back-up locations, it wouldn't be necessary.  And so it was decided we would walk the Marginal Way to dinner, and would have our session there.

What a  w o n d e r f u l second choice.  I loved every minute of being out there.  I was blessed by the scenery and the plethora of places for poses.  Every other step was another beautiful view of the ocean.  The colors were amazing.  I'm so glad that I got the opportunity to do a session here.

This is a view of Ogunquit Beach (and beyond) from near the middle of the Marginal Way.  This tiny lighthouse adds some character to the walkway, and was a tourist favorite.


This is a peak at some our pictures together.  I absolutely love my cousin, so much.  She is beautiful, smart and compassionate.  I enjoyed my time with her.  Growing up, there were lots of pictures taken of us together, but as we got older, there were fewer and fewer.  The pictures we got on this day hold a special place in my heart and I will treasure forever.


Ah, the three loves of my life, Scott, the beach, and photography.  When they meet, all is well in the world.  I love this picture for a few reasons.  One, my husband is a hottie, just look at him!  Two, look how freakin' blue that water is!  Serious!  Now, I love Florida, but this is killer.  Killer.  Three, the land in the horizon is a part of me...a part of my past.  That stretch of beach includes the beaches I grew up on, and parts of the North that I am familiar with.  And you know what's cool?  This trip was the first time he got to see all of that.  So this picture is sort of like my postcard of Scott's first summer trip to Maine.  How about that.
This is one of my favorites of the day.  The composition of this photo elates me.  I could star at it for hours.  Some people (including myself, sometimes) could star at wedding photography all day.  I could look at this.  All day.  I love catching him when he is doing his own thing.  He amazes me sometimes.  I like how he isn't the first thing your eye goes to, he's just there, being himself.  Just adding to my photo.  Gray, green, blue.  Gosh, I love Maine.


New England coastal towns rock my socks off.  And so does that sailboat.

And what a man after my own heart.  So, I am that girl that not only takes people's pictures for them when they ask, no, I walk up to people and ask them if they need/want their photo taken.  I've always been that way.  "Heck, if I take their picture, I bet they'll take mine!" That's my mantra while on vacation with my husband and there's no convenient way to place my camera on a timer.  There's times when you just gotta get that stranger to snap one for you.  I caught this action going on while we were getting ready to move down the Way.  How great is he.  Taking their picture.

And finally, behind the scenes with Krystal Sargent...


Wind, check.  This is me, mocking myself.  Telling people where to go and what to do is part of a photographer's job.  I just have that nice, off the cuff personality that makes it seem like I'm telling them what to do, when really, I just expect them to know:  I want to play around with where they are, what they are doing, what's behind them... I like to see what I can do with the naturalness of what they are doing first, before I have to move them.  It's funny, people often stand in front of my lens with this really blank look on their face, like... okay, now what?  What I really want is for them to be natural, and look good doing it.  Feel natural in your own skin, it will make for a better memory later.  That's my tip for today!

Hope you have enjoyed the first Behind the Scenes with Krystal Sargent. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment